IP and Strategy Update:
On the OpenNTF.org Steering Committee call on April 6th, 2010, the Steering Committee discussed the next steps for the site, community, and organization. The following are a list of items that we wish to pursue over the next couple of months. To ensure the entire OpenNTF.org community can provide feedback to these plans, listed below are the initiatives. You will also see a time table for community input, Steering Committee voting, and an implementation date estimate.
The OpenNTF.org Steering committee has resolved to do the following:
Below is a table on when to expect information on each item above to be posted for community input, when the Steering Committee will be presented with resolutions for voting, and the targeted implementation date:
- Formally pursue the process of creating an OpenNTF.org legal entity with Not for Profit (NFP) status. While a final proposal will be presented to the community and Steering Committee in 3 weeks, the current plan is to register the NFP in the United States. The NFP will have new bylaws that follow the current OpenNTF.org Alliance company rules as closely as possible. Known changes will include company officers, a named administrator, accountant, and legal representative, and a formal OpenNTF.org bank account. This will also include reporting of the revenue received and expenses on a regular (schedule to be set later) basis.
- At the same time as the bylaws are updated for the NFP entity, the Intellectual Property (IP) Working Group will put together a proposal for individual memberships. This will be presented to the community before the Steering Committee votes on the resolution(s).
- One requested change to the OpenNTF.org Bylaws is that the Steering Committee have the ability to create membership tiers, just like Eclipse.org. The community would be given proper time to comment on any Membership Tier plan before any Steering Committee vote.
- To insure the yearly costs of maintaining the NFP are funded (roughly $2,500 a year), a proposal has been made that all Steering Committee members will be asked to donate $500 to the NFP upon election. Since we have one and two year Steering Committee member terms, this should cover the costs. Once OpenNTF.org has other revenue streams in place (as talked about in #7 below), individual Steering Committee members will be allowed to request a refund of the $500 dues. This refund will be paid out if and only if income for the covered year exceeds the operational requirement.
- A donation process will be set up so that anyone can donate to the operating budget of the OpenNTF.org NFP legal entity. A plan to make this process part of the member application process and part of the OpenNTF.org website will be presented to the community before resolutions are brought to the Steering Committee. One of the possible models for the donation process is http://www.eclipse.org/donate/.
- The Steering Committee will begin to discuss setting up multiple Membership Tiers, much like the Eclipse.org Foundation. More to follow on this topic.
- The Strategy Working Group will create an advertising plan to offset these costs. This will begin with selling ads on different pages of OpenNTF.org. The report made to the community and the SC will also include a current accounting of the Google Adword Ads on the Projects pages today. This will include what revenue was generated since the OpenNTF.org Alliance was formed.
- The Strategy Working Group will also begin to draft a "Friend of OpenNTF.org" plan, much like the "Friend of Eclipse" that Eclipse.org has. Proposed benefits of becoming a "Friend of OpenNTF.org" would be SVN services, a cloud-based Domino development server, and a Notes ID with your name on it. This could also include a T-shirt or other OpenNTF.org branded items and the right to put a "Friend of OpenNTF.org" badge on your blog or website. The initial thought on cost would be a $35 donation. Frequency is still being discussed. Again, expect to see a detailed plan in the Strategy Working Group forum.
- The Marketing Working Group will use the approved advertising plan as a base for proposed marketing efforts, including a 2010 contest. Expect more on this from the Marketing Working Group in the future.
Looking forward to your thoughts, comments, and your involvement on a great 2010 for OpenNTF.org!
Posted for Community Input
|OpenNTF.org Organization Process for 2010 |
|OpenNTF.org NFP Plan|
(Items 1, 2, and 3)
|Member Company Optional Donation Plan |
|Advertising Plan and Report|
|Friend of OpenNTF.org Plan|